Belgrade |

Belgrade | Traveller’s Guide A to Z | weather, informations, photos

Churches and Monasteries

Belgrade is a spiritual centre of the Balkans. Eastern Orthodox Christianity is the dominant faith in the region.

The Cathedral

Kneza Sime Markovića

The Church of the Holy Archangel Michael was erected on the site of an older church dating from 1728. The new cathedral church was built by the order of Prince Miloš Obrenović between 1837 and 1840, according to plans drawn up by Kvarfeld, a builder from Pančevo, in the classical style with elements of the baroque. The treasury of the church is especially valuable with its collection of old icons and sumptuously decorated works of art in gold, covering the period from the 17th to the 20th century. The tombs of the Serbian sovereigns Miloš and Mihailo Obrenović are housed in the church. In the churchyard are buried two giants of Serbian culture – Dositej Obradović and Vuk Stefanović Karadžić.

www.saborna-bgd.spc.yu

The Cathedral of Saint Sava

Vračarski plato

Preparations for the erection of one of the largest Orthodox churches in the world began in 1894. The Cathedral was built on the site, where according to tradition the remains of Saint Sava were brought from the Mileševo Monastery and burnt at the order of Sinan Pascha in 1594. After two tenders, in 1926 the proposal of the architects Bogdan Nestorović and Aleksandar Derok was eventually accepted. Construction was interrupted by air raids at the beginning of World War II and it was not until 1985 that work on the building was restarted.

www.hramsvetogsave.com

The Church of the Ascension

Admirala Geprata 19

The church was built in 1863 by order of Prince Miloš Obrenović, for the army from the Great Barracks located near by. The bell tower contains a number of bells including the one that sounded from the Cathedral when the Princedom of Serbia was granted autonomy.

The Monastery of the Holy Archangel Michael

Patrijarha Dimitrija 34, Rakovica

Built in the 19th century in the style of the Moravian School, it is first mentioned in 16th century historical documents. It has been demolished and restored a number of times. In the narthex is the family tomb of Jevrem Obrenović, and along the southern external wall of the narthex is the tomb of General Vasa Čarapić.